Read Time: 4 mins
Many think that a job description for a cleaner doesn’t require much thought. If your approach is to hire anyone that will show up, then that might work, but if you’re tired of dealing with cleaner turnover you may want to read on…
Managers that spend little time on job postings are failing to make the connection between the job posting, and dysfunctional cleaner turnover in their company.
In this post we’re going to cover a simple framework that will make sure you’re job postings stand out in a crowd and create the opportunity for you to attract the best cleaner for your team.
Pro Tip: Use CleaningJobs.co to take your hiring process to the next level!
What to include under “Job Description”
When describing the position you have, don’t just post the obvious. There are a lot of great people out there looking for work that might not have considered cleaning, but would be a perfect fit for your team.
Start by describing what your position has to offer the cleaner. The goal of the description should be to answer the following key questions your applicants will have:
- Why is this company any different from all the other cleaning jobs?
- What type of job is this?
- How much will I be paid?
- Is there flexibility in time I can work?
- How far away is this job from where I live now?
- How many hours do / can I work?
- Do they offer any type of health coverage?
- Will any training be provided?
- Who will I report to?
- Will I be a contractor or employee?
what to include under “Responsibilities”
Setting expectations of what is required is critical. The job posting is the first interaction that your prospective cleaner has with your company. It’s important to use this job posting as an opportunity to specifically tell them what will be expected of them. Questions to answer in this section are..
- What equipment do I need to know how to use?
- What duties are expected of me?
- Will I need to work in a team or by myself?
What to include under “Job Requirements”
Believe it or not, this is the best place for you to make sure people do not apply to your position. What will the applicant need to be successful? A critically important aspect of finding great cleaners is to make sure the job is a good fit for both you and them. Be clear what an applicant will need before they will be considered. Questions to answer in this section are…
- Do I need to pass a criminal background check?
- Do I need my own car or can I use public transportation?
- Do I need experience?
- Will I need a cell phone?
- Do I need to speak english?
- Do I need to be able to read english?
- Will I need to be able to lift heavy things or operate any equipment?
Check out the example job post below to get started.
Evening Office Cleaner Needed
Top Notch Cleaning has been in business for over 10 years, employing over 20 full and part time cleaners. We take pride in the team that we’ve built over the last decade by recognizing that our service is only as good as the members of our team.
At Top Notch, our goal is to help you find a position that provides you and your family an opportunity to make an income and feel part of a team that values your contribution.
We’re on the lookout for a new cleaning professional for a position we have in an office building close to Xavier University here in Cincinnati. This position offers 3 nightly shifts between 6 pm – 11 pm and pays $13.50/hour.
While this position alone would not qualify for benefits, Top Notch does offer health coverage for employees that work more than 30 hours / week.
We promote from within, so if you’re interested in working with us please review the responsibilities and requirements to see if this job would be a fit for you as much as it would us.
- Cleaning of common areas, including but not limited to: hallways, common areas, public bathrooms
- Cleaning duties to include, but not limited to, dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, etc.
- Communicating with team members proactively should any aspect of your cleaning not be completed
- Following all health and safety regulations provided
- Must be able to successfully pass a criminal background check
- Own or have access to reliable transportation
- Speak and understand english
- Own a cell phone (preferably a smartphone) that allows you to be contacted reliably
- Comfortably lift 40 lbs without risk of injury.
- Be available to 10 hours / week.
To apply please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Want access to all of our best cleaner hiring resources? Click here to get our Cleaner Hiring & Retention Toolkit.